Skills Strategies International developed and delivered some of the first School-Based Traineeships (SBTs) in Australia.
An SBT is an employment-based learning pathway, which combines off-the-job training and on-the-job training that leads to a nationally recognised qualification.
- Earn money while getting hands-on experience, mentoring, support and supervision from an employer
- Develop their employability skills
- Receive industry specific skills and an understanding of the world of work
- Get an industry approved pathway to further study or a job
Students completing a VET qualification while they are a full-time secondary student may also have it count towards their Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE).
As a school-based trainee, the student and parent/guardian enter into a training contract with an employer. The trainee is paid while they learn for the duration of their contract. Employers are required to provide students with opportunities to demonstrate the competencies that are a part of the relevant traineeship qualification.
- A low cost effective way to meet specific needs of the business
- An effective strategy to diversify the workforce
- Financial incentives may be available to help meet the cost of taking on a school-based
- Address industry skill requirements for current and future needs
- Contribute to the education system in a way that makes it meaningful and relevant
Find out more information for school based traineeships in WA here: