Skills Strategies International developed and delivered some of the first School-Based Traineeships (SBTs) in Australia.
An SBT is an employment-based learning pathway, which combines off-the-job training and on-the-job training that leads to a nationally recognised qualification.
- Earn money while getting hands-on experience, mentoring, support and supervision from an employer
- Develop their employability skills
- Receive industry specific skills and an understanding of the world of work
- Get an industry approved pathway to further study or a job
Students completing a VET qualification while they are a full-time secondary student may also have it count towards their Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE).
As a school-based trainee, the student and parent/guardian enter into a training contract with an employer. The trainee is paid while they learn for the duration of their contract. Employers are required to provide students with opportunities to demonstrate the competencies that are a part of the relevant traineeship qualification.
Benefits for Employers:
- A low cost-effective way to meet the specific needs of the business
- An effective strategy to diversify the workforce and develop talent
- Succession planning
- Increased productivity
- Develop the learner into your culture
- Young learners bring new ideas
- Financial incentives may be available to help meet the cost of taking on a school-based trainee
- Address industry skill requirements for current and future needs
- Contribute to the education system in a way that makes it meaningful and relevant
Benefits for Students:
- Practical hands on experience in a real world environment
- Earn while you learn and gain a qualification
- Acquire and enhance job specific skills
- Develop important soft skills such as teamwork, problem solving, communication
- On the job support
- Learn by doing workplace tasks
- A great way to transition from school to work
- Mentored and guided by the training organisation and employer
- Increase your confidence by overcoming challenges in a professional setting
- Get job market awareness
Find out more information for school based traineeships in WA here: